Tuesday, July 30, 2024

(They Long To Be) Close to You ISAAC HAYES

 https://youtu.be/AtkzYl1uglg

BLACK MOSES, ISAAC HAYES


     SONGS BEYOND SHAFT


Most people think of "Shaft", the song (and the movies) when they hear the name Isaac Hayes, but Black Moses covers of famous tunes, "Brand New Me," "Never Can Say Goodbye" etc are an inspiration to me.  All three songs are in my set when I play for, ahem, "mature adults" here every Friday.

And I play them in my style on piano, but employ Isaacs vocal phrasings when singing.

My documentary thanks to government grants: "70 is the New 30" : Seniors Young At Heart ...features some of the music.  I'm just attempting to find a softer word than "elders" or "seniors" or "mature people" ....I mean I could just call it 70 is the New Thirty, and maybe I will.  It's coming out superb.

Instrumental of "Lots of You in My Life" will probably be on Soundtrack.  https://youtu.be/o6q6Hpdpyiw


"Close To You" is interesting because it starts off with Bacharach/David's lick from "I'll Never Fall In Love Again."  Where they also wrote "Close to You" it was probably a nod to their genius.  Anyway, I woke up this morning after two lovely and very intense dreams (so good wish I could go back to them!) with this version of the song in my head.  It keeps showing up on my YouTube instead of Never Can Say Goodbye, go figure.


Anyway, my life is as happy as my dreams, just wish I could live them both simultaneously.  Got my master tapes sent to WeTransfer digitally and having fun with my originals too today.  Actually, all weekend, fascinating hearing my work from long ago.   12:23 pm July 30, 2024 


Here's a classic from 1981 for the late Thom Lane

https://youtu.be/RtDiXKAuYF0


339 tracks on Spotify, with more to come.

0 comments: