Saturday, December 19, 2020

A Cop Knelt and Kissed the Feet of a Priest / And a Queer Threw Up at the Sight of That Five Years...David Bowie

 FIVE YEARS...hazy cosmic jive ...with all the ruckus of bad cops in Medford, in Boston, at the State Police...well, David Bowie was right...and prophetic...and Breanna's looking for money to continue failing to do a damn thing for the city of Medford.



A soldier with a broken arm,
Fixed his stare to the wheels of a Cadillac
A cop knelt and kissed the feet of a priest,
And a queer threw up at the sight of that

https://genius.com/David-bowie-five-years-lyrics

The third time I met David Bowie was in his room at the Four Seasons hotel in Boston.   I was with the notorious Aerosmith groupie from the song Back in the Saddle Again.  David was playing Tin Machine and offered me a beer. 


  Suddenly the groupie was crawling all over David on the couch in his suite.  

 


Guess Mr. Bowie liked playing "rock star" with Aerosmith's leftovers.  Poor Steve Tyler would call the groupie up ...and had no idea... (she was dating the videographer from the documentary on Aerosmith's PUMP album; she claimed that she and her boyfriend are the ones who signed all the Aerosmith photos for the fans in those days...I believe her...) ...Mr. Tyler had no idea that the woman he would go to the beach with was actually his stalker stealing his demo tapes, gold record awards and his mail in Brookline only to bring it back a day later after she pilfered what she wanted...) ...by the way, when she got his autograph before they released "Back in the Saddle" I was there...he loved her name...well, who do you think named her?   I took David Bowie's real last name and attached it to her, and it stuck.  Years later she had sex with La Bowie...go figure...blame me for that too...I was the chauffeur.


...so I put the beer down and said "I'm one of your original followers in Boston...it would be nice to talk music with you (we had drinks together in 1976 at the Springfield Marriot and David did thank me back then for being a faithful follower; to amuse David and Iggy Pop I started hitting on some dude behind us just for show. They loved it!)...David had the groupie crawling all over him and laughing so I just exited at that point...the next morning La Groupie phones me (she worked for our family business in Somerville, the company that was on 183 Park St. Medford until we expanded in 1974)...and she said "David is really worried that you are going to call the Boston Globe and the Boston Herald."  I said "C'mon, why would I do that?"   But when she was off the phone I thought "What a novel idea!!!"  

 

So I phoned Norma Nathan of the Herald and said "Norma, I'm right pissed, my friend xxxx xxxxx is at the Four Seasons having sex with Bowie."   

 

Well, the next day in the paper the headline to her column read BOWIE AND ARROW...too funny...she called me "the babbling boyfriend," which I was not, and the groupie's grandmother phones her and says "You're in the Herald" (BANG, slamming the phone down...yikes...I always liked her grandma too)...so - of course - she calls and said "why did you do  that?"  

I said "Why do you always blame me when the father of your kid picked you up from your fling at the 4 Seasons (he was a great guy, RIP, with the WRONG GIRL) ...What did you say to him?  

 

She said when he picked her up at the Lechmere station he said "Where were you all night?" and she replied "Fucking Bowie, what's it to you?" ...and my response was: And you're blaming me?   

She said "You're right, Joe, I'm sorry."

 

HA

Of course it was me!





Love and Kisses,

Yours Truly, the Soldier with the Broken Arm

Five Years: Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars  https://youtu.be/rfrOlB6pXNI

____________________________

Rest in peace, Norma Nathan, Nov 11, 1991, probably a year after the article.

At an Aerosmith show in the press section I was sitting next to Norma's daughter or daughters at the Worcester Centrum on a planet far far away...long, long ago. 

___________________________________

Here's a film of the concert 5 days before Foxboro

David Bowie - Uniondale (USA) - PRIVATE FILM - 16 July 1990 - Sound And Vision Tour

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzxAO4uN4uc

 Wow, good find, just downloaded to keep a copy before the YouTube sheriffs go after it...



 https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/david-bowie/1990/foxboro-stadium-foxborough-ma-6bd0ea6e.html

 

 

David Bowie Tour band 1990 – Sound+Vision Tour    https://www.davidbowieworld.nl/mijn-bootlegs-2-2/tour-recordings/1990-the-sound-vision-world-tour/attachment/david-bowie-foxboro/
Bowie specifically chose a smaller band for the tour, saying in a contemporary interview that “It’s a much smaller sound. It’s not quite as orchestrated as any of the other tours. The plus of that is that there is a certain kind of drive and tightness that you get with that embryonic line-up, where everybody is totally reliant on the other two or three guys, so everybody gives a lot more”
David Bowie – vocals, guitar, saxophone[
Adrian Belew – guitar, backing vocals, music director
Erdal Kızılçay – bass guitar, backing vocals
Rick Fox – keyboards, backing vocals
Michael Hodges – drums


In 1980 I'm in an elevator in Miami at the Musexpo with an RCA Records Exec who had been promoting Jack Green.  I said "Are you going to promote Green the way RCA promoted Bowie in 1972?"  He said "yes," so I ask you, exactly forty years later, have you ever heard of Jack Green?   What was the monstrous P.R. to launch the original Davey Jones?  Free records on the counter at record stores promoting Bowie; a Billboard near St. Clements in Medford that said David Bowie is Ziggy Stardust, Ziggy Stardust is David Bowie ...and a radio campaign "I am david bowie, i AM david bowie, i am David bowie, i am david Bowie..vocally on the air.  It was a massively expensive campaign.  

ZIGGY STARDUST LIVE IN BOSTON

NO ONE WAS THERE EXCEPT FOR ME AND A BUNCH OF DRAG QUEENS...

There were only about 200 people at the Music Hall (Wang/Boch Center) and I was one of them.  Meeting David as he was leaving in his limo (he went to the gay club, The Other Side)...it was only 48 years ago... 


https://fortune.com/2019/02/01/david-bowie-stardust-biopic-music-rights-son/



ONE OF THE CRAZY GENIUSES OF ROCK AND ROLL....JOE VIGLIONE

ROCK & FOLK MAGAZINE, FRANCE

LES SAVANTS FOUS

TRANSLATED

MAD SCIENTIST, CRAZY GENIUS 

MAD GENIUS 

something about my name being Le Comte (the Count) and that there should be a statue built in front of New Rose Records, Paris for me...if I can translate correctly...

One of the 8 crazy geniuses of Rock and Roll and...I used to manage (1994) Randy California of the band SPIRIT...also RIP...listed in Les Illumines....


THANK YOU TO MY DEAR FRIEND OEDIPUS FROM WBCN WHO BROUGHT THIS BACK FROM PARIS FOR ME.

0 comments: