Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Boston Globe: Malden Woman was on the Orange Line train that caught fire. She's furious.

 

I was on the Orange Line train that caught fire. I’m furious.

When I got home later that morning, I waited for the MBTA to call. No one did.


https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/07/25/opinion/i-was-orange-line-train-that-caught-fire-im-furious/?event=event25  Thursday’s train fire wasn’t my first time at the burning train rodeo. It was just the worst time. The day started off like any other, until a loud bang brought the train to a screeching halt as it approached Assembly Station in Somerville. As with most commotion on the T, you glance up from the TikTok cooking hack you were absorbed in, rubberneck to determine what kind of foolishness the day brings, roll your eyes, and hit the day’s Wordle while the train sits in stasis, adding 10 to 20 minutes to your commute. Sometimes, the conductor kicks you off the train and T personnel herd you onto a shuttle, and you make the requisite phone call to your boss to explain why you won’t make the morning sales meeting. Naturally, your boss believes you because this is so commonplace.   The state needs to care harder. MBTA management must swallow their pride, admit they need help, and start actually listening to their stakeholders.

Until I’m convinced that this is the case, I will be in the habit of carrying Ativan and a fire extinguisher on my commutes.

Jennifer Thomson-Sullivan lives in Malden.

0 comments: