Friday, March 26, 2021

221 Days to Election Day Nov 2, 2021 Justin Tseng, John Intoppa Jump Into Race...bye bye bye Ms. Graham Spending $$$ on Changing a School Name!

 

The Committee to Elect John Intoppa would like to formally announce their bid for a seat on the Medford School Committee:
Hello all, my name is John Intoppa and I am running to be on the Medford School Committee in the 2021 election. I am a recent graduate of Medford High School, graduating in 2019 as the Senior Class President - an honor I do not take lightly. As President, I worked on making a more equitable experience for my class. We were able to fundraise and successfully lower the price of prom from + $100 to $80. We worked towards making events such as prom, the senior breakfast, and cookout more equitable in those with dietary restrictions. We raffled off
 necessities to students that they would need after high-school life. 

I also served on the SITE Council which helped establish what was going on within the school itself. Throughout my years in the Medford Public Schools, I got involved heavily in the community by being a part of The AMS Builder's Club, National Junior Honor Society, National Honor Society, The Center for Citizenship and Social Responsibility, and the Magic & Cardistry Club (president and founder).

I also got involved heavily by performing on stage. I come from a heavy arts background, and continue to be an advocate of the arts as a student at the Massachusetts College of Art & Design. I performed at numerous Gay Straight Alliance events as a magician, numerous middle school and high school shows as an actor and props master, and a contestant at Mr. MHS, in which I helped in raising around $4000 for the Baltimore Backpack Project. I was a part of the Medford Orchestra from 4th grade to 12th grade.

I attribute the arts and athletics to who I have become as a person. Along with the arts, I was also an athlete with North Medford Little League and then Medford Rowing. I am the recipient of the Unsung Hero Award (2019) and the Michael J McGlynn Award (2019), the highest honor bestowed upon an athlete on the Medford Rowing team.

I love giving back to the community as much as possible. I worked on painting and improving the Medford High School lobby (2020) and was chosen as a part of the Vision Committee, of which I later resigned from due to the community feeling that the process was not as equitable as they would have liked. I also work part time / full time at Modern Hardware & Paint Co, and work with members of our community on a day to day basis. I was also an after-school teacher at the Columbus Elementary School for two years teaching a magic course.

I still spend a lot of my time advocating for students rights and concerns.

I am running, because I feel there is a lack of a connection between the School Committee and the students. This feeling justified by the troubling months regarding students being severely underpaid by the schools (below minimum wage). A fresh young voice is direct needed in city government, and the School Committee is not exempt. I was also the only candidate who ran with mental health on their main platform, something I still continue to push in this campaign. I bring an accessibility viewpoint that is also well needed. As a student with an allergy, and a student with a disability, I feel that viewpoint is not represented enough on the Committee. I have heard language used by members of the Committee and members of the MPS that is not welcomed by the neurodivergent and allergen communities - of which I am a part of.

I am excited to form my entire platform, of which will be formed over the next few months with input from the community. 

I cannot wait to begin going door to door and hearing from all of you.


Thank you.
All the best,
John Intoppa
CTE, John Intoppa

0 comments: