Wednesday, November 22, 2023

The Jefferson Salamander


How rare is the Jefferson salamander?
Conservation Status

The Jefferson salamander is not currently listed as threatened or endangered. To continue this species' survival relatively undisturbed, woodland habitats near suitable breeding ponds need to be preserved.

 https://youtu.be/pxjk39oSpgw

 

from the video above

 I HAD A PET LIZARD WHEN I WAS 5 YEARS OLD,

APPROPRIATELY ENOUGH CALLED "JUDGE", 

MY FIRST PET.

 Safely in the water at a pet store is a Jefferson Salamander I found in storage tonight around 8 pm.  Wednesday 11/22/23

 

As I was carting stuff out to my car (the little lizard could have been squished if I were not so observant!)

 


 I put paper on the floor and it climbed on it, and I put him in a box. Now, generally, I let wildlife be wildlife, but obviously it got in from the wetlands behind storage and it was walking on cement in a very long corridor. I went to the convenience store where the fellow knows my face and looked at the creature. It looked like it was hibernating....we all worried about it, then it came to life again. I threw some water on it from my water bottle and sought out the pet store that would close at 9. 

 

Got to the highway and found the store. They immediately said "We don't take pets" but I said, "I'm here to buy a little terrarium for it." The costs started multiplying exponentially. The young fellow brought me to an older fellow staffer who is an expert on lizards. He has two female newts at home. The fellow put him in water, he had all sorts of gunk (probably from the ten miles, relatively speaking that it crawled at storage) and instead of hibernating for a third time he or she seemed quite happy. 

 


I asked the fellow if he'd like to adopt it and he said yes, so the big giant (me) picked up the salamander and got it to a good home. I wouldn't know what I was doing and I don't think it would have lasted long here. Surely it liked the water in the pet shop and the guy adopting salamander seemed very nice and down to earth.

 

0 comments: