Monday, March 23, 2020

Busy writing a new book ....stay tuned Kenny Rogers Aftermath - Englebert, Barry, Carpenters "Can't Smile Without You" But David Martin did the original

1,575,680 @ 12:22 am 3-23-2020
474,320 to two million page views




CAN'T SMILE WITHOUT YOU

Barry Manilow Does it Best


Like wow. I haven't played this in years, but Barry's is the king.  What an amazing pop confection.  Listen to those handclaps mixed with string movements, pure sunshine pop...and that vocal performance, Barry's very best, superior to even the iconic
"Mandy"   Gotta play it again.
________________________


I heard this in a thrift store while I was in a not so pleasant mood until I heard this song my mood changed immediately
Someone on YouTube comment section.
_________________________

Playing this is like finding a good old friend and bringing him back into your life.  Barry Manilow's vocal is pop soulful, just listen to him rock it.  The schmaltzy over-the-top live performances fade into the background with this one moment in time for the schmaltz master.   Soul-stirring performance and production...all the elements are there to get me writing, singing the praises of what I call "capturing the butterfly."  

Capturing the Butterfly is my record production technique.  It really is about the "perfect storm" of the right studio, the right players, the right mood, the right performance, the right song...and then incredible mixes and - most essential to the cake - the right mastering.

I usually do eight mixes or so when making a recording, you never know when "in the battle" which one will work for you...and to entertain as many people as possible.  I drive around for weeks till I'm sure which one hits the "G" spot for GROOVEY!
Barry's production work is enormous.
Barry Manilow, Ron Dante - Dante, of course, a previous guest of my TV show, Visual Radio.

Ron Dante is the Archies - "Sugar Sugar" and "Jingle Jangle" and other great artists, he's a one man textbook of rock and roll.  

The album, Even Now, went triple platinum.
Along with Manilow's deep catalog - "I Write the Songs," "Mandy" and "Trying To Get The Feeling Again" - written by another great Visual Radio guest, David Pomeranz, the quintessential pop is what makes life better.


"You came along, just like a song...to brighten my day!"

Read more in my upcoming book...
if we can get to New York with this crazy virus crisis out there...

guess we'll have to e mail the agent!  HA!







As some of my friends know I'm immersed in writing a new book on rock music.  Postings here may be sporadic, my apologies, but this Medford blog is more of a public information volunteer effort.

Will be reviewing Engelbert's or Barry Manilow's rendition of "I Can't Smile Without You" - but I found the Carpenters - of all people - doing a version as well.

Interesting that it is one of their better productions.  Very nice.


Richard and Karen
https://youtu.be/7D993OdK3tU

The passing of Kenny Rogers got me posting my Rogers' reviews...and inspired me to get a book out on the many songs I've reviewed over the years...there are many.

Englebert - and Barry - do the core versions, though, sorry Karen.



Englebert

Can't Smile without You (Christian Arnold, David Martin, and Geoff Morrow) From After the Lovin', 1976.



and the original...by one of the three songwriters.

David Martin put it out first  July 25, 1975, about a year before my Salt Water Summers launched me into fame, fortune and infinity...

https://youtu.be/LAOROtxT1AQ

Interesting...unique phrasings....and some very sweet moments, especially the echo towards the end...Englebert got his riffs from this first release.