Thursday, February 22, 2018

Mayor Burke's Deceptive Statement on City Website

Mayor Burke’s Statement Delivered at Press Conference
Posted on February 22, 2018
Watch press conference video here

As your Mayor and Chairperson of the Medford School Committee, I deliver this statement with profound disappointment.

The handling of a recent matter at the McGlynn Middle School put our entire community at grave risk.

On December 29th, 2017, a magazine clip loaded with at least one bullet was found in the McGlynn School Auditorium. However, neither the Medford Police nor my office were notified of this event until last Friday.

I am both professionally and personally astounded that I was not informed immediately of the incident. I am learning of the exact details through ongoing investigations and questioning.

I am deeply concerned about the way this matter was handled by the school administration.

The lack of attention to the potential threat this situation imposed, and the lack of notice and communication with police personnel as well as my office.

Handling a situation of this potential magnitude within the school system alone is unacceptable.

This was a matter for police and public safety intervention as well as communication with other municipal offices.

I assure you, a complete and expedited police investigation is ongoing and its results will be communicated as soon as the findings are received.

As students return to their classrooms on Monday, Medford Police Officers and I will have a reassuring presence at our schools.

We are taking the following actions regarding this matter –

1. Based on my recommendation, the school department has placed Jake Edwards, Principal of the McGlynn Middle School on paid Administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigations.

2. I have commissioned former Attorney General Martha Coakley of the Law Firm Foley Hoag, to lead an independent investigation. This investigation will be done independently, expeditiously and comprehensively. It will begin tomorrow!

3. We have 17 teams led by the Medford Police Department currently sweeping all our schools.

4. As Chair of the School Committee, I will be making further appropriate recommendations this evening.

5. As the Chair of the School Committee, Mayor of this City and as a parent I am going to meet privately next week with teachers of the McGlynn School to have candid conversations.

6. The School Committee will review a Reporting Policy on Weapons for ALL Employees.

7. The School Committee will review Rental Agreements for current and future renters.

As disturbing and unacceptable as these events are, we must use this as a learning experience to move forward.

You have my utmost assurance that the safety and wellbeing of your children and employees, has been and will remain my first concern.

I encourage everyone to join us this evening at Medford High School for a School Committee Meeting beginning at 5:30 p.m.

Thank you.