Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Oh My God: Dan Kennedy and I Agree on Something TUMBLING DICE by The Rolling Stones

1,712,105 all-time page views 8:47 am

    287,895 to two million page views


  Dan Kennedy Reviews Exile on Main St.

Let me linger on “Tumbling Dice” for a moment, because I think it’s the Stones’ single greatest song — which is saying a lot. It opens with a classic Richards riff and features a gospel choir, supposedly inspired by Jagger’s attending the concert at which Aretha Franklin performed the songs that became her album “Amazing Grace” (No. 22). There are little touches that kill me every time I hear them. Charlie Watts marking time during the outro, only to come crashing back in. Keith’s now-you-hear-him-now-you-don’t harmonies. Mick’s wail seguing perfectly into a slide guitar. Something magical and desperate was captured that night. I’ve only seen the Stones once, but I’ve listened to “Tumbling Dice” on several live albums, and it’s flat and uninspiring by comparison. That’s really saying something for a band whose songs usually sound better live than in the studio.


https://dankennedy.net/2020/10/06/album-4-the-rolling-stones-exile-on-main-st/


Dan, that's because my good friend Jimmy Miller's genius (and drumming at the conclusion of the disc) made the song what it is.


Heck, I got to play keyboards and Jimmy on drums in my basement in the 1980s when we did SHINE A LIGHT together...


Joe Viglione is currently writing the book FEVER IN THE FUNK HOUSE: THE AUTHORIZED BIOGRAPHY OF JIMMY MILLER, THE GREATEST ROCK RECORD PRODUCER OF ALL TIME.


Jimmy hand wrote pages and pages for the book...it's what I've been spending a lot of time on, transferring video interviews, etc.

0 comments: